Bramley Elderly Action is actively looking for volunteers for a variety of rewarding roles, all of which support older people in the local community to remain healthy, independent and involved.
We are seeking people for the following roles:
Group leaders work with members of a group to agree a programme, in some cases invite speakers or entertainers, set up whatever is needed and make sure everything runs smoothly. They need to be good organisers, friendly and very welcoming.
- We are currently looking for a group leader for the Friendship group, which runs talks, activities and outings for anyone wanting friendship, who may be lonely and would like to meet people. It meets once a month, in the day time on a Wednesday. The leader would also need to spend some time on organising it between meetings.
- We are likely to be looking for other group leaders in the near future. Please get in touch if you may be interested.
Facilitators help organise and run group sessions, ensuring that everyone in the group has the opportunity and encouragement to be involved in the session. It helps if you have some experience of working with groups.
We are currently looking for facilitators for:
- Reminiscence group, which meets weekly on a Thursday evening, to help people remember the things and events that are important to them through speakers, memorabilia, discussions and outings. We are looking for a few volunteers to share this role. It may particularly suit people with an interest in local and social history.
- Men’s group, which meets every other Friday morning. We needed to facilitate the sessions, help identify and provide for members’ interests and encourage the group to open up to new members.
- Tea dance – facilitator for the Wednesday afternoon tea dance from early April, to organise dances and support and encourage members to get involved.
Group support – Bingo
We are looking for someone to support the group leader, particularly in taking registers, collecting money and selling tickets. Bingo takes place every Thursday morning.
Volunteer drive our minibuses and play a crucial role in helping our members take part in activities.
We are currently seeking drivers:
- for BEA, especially on Thursdays
- for Bramley Lawn on a Saturday
- for OWLS (Older Wiser Local Seniors, which supports older people in Headingley, Kirkstall and Hyde Park) for a Friday lunch club every two weeks. You need a full, clean driving licence take on this role.
Bus buddies work with our volunteer drivers to help our members get on and off the minibus, and ensure that they have a safe, comfortable ride. We are currently looking for bus buddies during the week for both BEA and OWLS.
We are currently seeking kitchen helpers to volunteer at Bramley Lawn during the day on Saturdays, and once a month for our vibrant Restaurant night, which includes waiting at tables.
We are seeking a volunteer to help with all sorts of administrative tasks at Bramley Lawn during the week
We are seeking a volunteer who would like to drive and offer one-to-one support (not personal care) for on Remember Thursdays, our weekly day at Bramley Lawn for people with dementia.
Please phone our volunteer co-ordinator Maureen on 0113 236 1644 if you would like to discuss any of the roles.