- What’s your volunteer role? Telephone befriender
- How long have you been a volunteer? I started as a volunteer at the Atlanta Street bingo in January 2015 and then became a telephone befriender in October 2015.
- Why did you get involved? I used to be a volunteer years ago. I just wanted to do something. I used to look after my grandmother and then had time on my hands, and wanted to put something back. Working at the office is ideal because I can’t stand or walk for long.
- Three words that sum up BEA for you? friendship, communication, company
- What do you get out of volunteering? The satisfaction of knowing I’ve done something useful, as well as meeting new people and making new friends.
- What else do you like doing? I used to do a lot of knitting and crochet, but I’m now very limited by arthritis.
- Where were you born? Hyde Park, Leeds
- What’s your favourite film? Dirty Dancing
- And your favourite book? I don’t have a favourite book as such. I like romance, especially Catherine Cookson
- Tell us one interesting fact about yourself I’m a very good listener.
Phone 0113 236 1644 if you would like to speak regularly to a telephone befriender or would like to volunteer in this role.