Meet the ironmonger

Dave Dubej

Dave Dubej has been running Bramley Ironmongers and DIY for more than 11 years. He’d been a regular customer there and accepted the opportunity to take over the businessDave Dubej outside his shop after being a bus driver for 15 years.

Dave prides himself on doing the best he can for his customers. As well as running every aspect of the shop he gives advice – on the best way to do things, and the best products to do them.

It’s the personal advice and support that has led to Dave being a figure customers can trust and why they keep coming back. (That, and his dog George, who Dave admits some people just come in to see!)

“I want to do the best job I can for my customers”

Dave reckons about a quarter of his customers are older people. He has often gone to a customer’s house to help – perhaps because they don’t feel safe climbing a ladder, or they’re not sure how to do something. He would always advise older people to “…only do it if you know what you’re doing.” If people can do something themselves he’ll advise them how, and show them, and then help them if they’ve tried, can’t do it and come back.

“I’m always straight with my customers. If I don’t think something’s right for them, I’ll tell them.”

Dave gets great pleasure from being self-employed, despite the feeling of being ‘tied’ to the hours, and above all from meeting people and passing on his knowledge.

Dave uses just about every square inch of his shop to display products, and certainly gives the impression of knowing how they all work. He did a lot of DIY, and fitting kitchens andDaveDubej in his shop bathrooms before he had the shop, so had built up a good bank of knowledge and skills, but he’s added greatly to those since.

Dave is very aware of the benefits of shopping locally and being able to talk to someone about what to buy and how to use it. “People have this perception that because you’re a small business you’re dearer, but that’s not the case.”

Dave grew up in Bradford before living for many years in Bramley, and now Gildersome. When he can, Dave plays golf, goes running and takes George for walks.

Say hello to Dave, and to George, if you’re passing.

Advertisements